Monday, December 21, 2009

I stole this timely post from a friend. I thought it was extremely relevent for IJMM followers:

We got a Christmas tree this year. I never thought I'd see the day. After reading an article on the top offenders for child labor and sweatshops I learned that Christmas ornaments from China were on the top of the list. How ironic. We celebrate the birth of Christ, the coming of the good news to "bind up the brokenhearted and set prisoners free", by decorating our homes with the very things that enslave those that Christ came to set free, people all around the globe. I went to five stores to find ornaments that weren't made in China. Out of five major stores with aisles stacked high with ornaments, the only thing I found was a roll of ribbon made in Taiwan. I think I'm going to take some re-used gift wrap from last year and make origami balls out of them and hang them on the tree with paper clips.

This Christmas, I encourage you to be curious. As curious as children are about their gifts, may you be curious about the sourcing of the goods that you buy. Experiment by looking at the label before you purchase. And if you cannot trust the sourcing of that product, think long and hard about other alternatives before buying it. I don't want to preach. This just weighs heavy on me as I watch mall parking lots be filled and shoppers hurry home with their arms full of treasure. Can we think for a moment that maybe the people making things in those factories for us to buy during this season are actual people too, like us, with dreams of weekends off, fair treatment, sanitary working conditions and labour that brings dignity. When I receive a gift this Christmas I hope to be reminded of the one who bought it for me instead of the one enslaved by my consumption. Please look around you and open your eyes wide to the truth.

God bless you this Christmas. May you truly be free.

No comments: